It has been recorded since the 11th century. It conserved the seat of the City Council until the middle of the 19th century (Madoz). Although Requejo and Corús are physically separated and have their own identifying name, they officially formed a single town, Requejo and its Corús neighborhood, as the enclave is sometimes cited, was the capital of a large municipality in the 19th century, which included part north of the Leon region of La Cepeda. It was La Requejada. Among his illustrious sons, he has a clerk of Felipe IV (a monarch who once travelled to these towns) and a charter of privileges that constitute a true jewel of drawing, colour and calligraphy kept in the Provincial Historical Archive. In said document, Don Rodrigo de Hoces, mayor of the city of León, is mentioned by Don Antonio Freire Cabeza, a native of the place of Requejo, of the jurisdiction of Cepeda, Valley of Samario and place of Ucedo, of the mountains of that Kingdom of Leon.


Today there are some ruins of large manor houses, but without a doubt it is the remains of the Hermitage of San José, which shows that it was one of the most important temples due to its size and architectural wealth. Natural priests of Requejo who founded a chaplaincy, it still preserves part of the presbytery, with a cupola, and several capitals with disorderly drawings and inscriptions, all revealing what was a remarkable building. The front was ornamented by a baroque altarpiece, all carved in stone. The vegetation has flooded the place giving these ruins a beauty with a decadent air. There was talk of moving the altarpiece to the Ponferrada Thermal Power Plant and the Museum of the Roads, but while the transfer was being decided, it was stolen and its trail has been followed to the Canary Islands.


District belonging to the Municipality of Villagatón. It is at 1048 m, within the Comarca de La Cepeda. It borders to the N with Los Barrios de Nistoso, to the E with Corús and to the W with Villagatón.


45 inhabitants with Corús (INE 2020)


May 15 - San Isidro

Tourism in Requejo

Points of Interest


Hot water fountains

The temperature of its water is warm throughout the year.

Church of Santa Eulalia

Documentation that is preserved refers to 1864. The church of Culebros was attached to it.

Hermitage of San José

It was built in 1739 on the initiative of three priests from Requejo who founded the chaplaincy. The baroque style of the architecture of the hermitage is very unique, since it has no resemblance.

Hiking Trails

menuchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-right Skip to content